Saturday 9 March 2013

Knowledge is power.

I thought I would share some really good resources that I have used over the past 6 months in preparation for our journey along the Camino Santiago.  You can't know too much about what you are getting yourself into I reckon.  If you are considering the Camino you might find this stuff helps.

A.  The Way.  This movie is a cracker.  It has become an absolute favourite of mine and many of my friends also.  There is just something about it that makes it special and it will stir up a dormant wunderlust in the most sedentary of us.


You should not have to look too far to find a copy of this magnificent flick.  For my money the best scene is where they all end up in Tom's room in the big, flash hotel.  Watch it and maybe post a comment on this blog about which scene is your favourite.  You may have trouble picking just one because the film is so very rich with memorable moments.  As far as research goes, it is filmed on location right across the full length of the Camino and it gives the impending pilgrim a real sense of what lays ahead.

B.  John Brierley's book, A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago by Camino Guides.  This book is widely regarded as the must have guide for the journey.  It breaks up the 850 kilometres into its 33 traditional stages and gives very practical information and detailed route maps for each stage.  I won't say any more here about the book as much is written elsewhere.  It can be difficult to get your hands on at short notice so order well in advance if you intend on getting it or gifting it.  Somewhere like The Book Depository is as good a spot as any to get hold of one if you can't source it locally.  My copy is already well worn and scribbled through in preparation for our trip.


C.  Unholy Pilgrims by Tom Trumble.  This for me is as good an experience as The Way movie.  Some friends of mine gave me this book knowing that we were off to walk the Camino and I devoured it in an afternoon and a night.  Caution, it contains some colourful language, but it is well worth the read.  Tom Trumble is a great author and, for my money a terrific researcher.  Not only do you get to share a rollicking good time with two Aussie blokes as they walk the Camino you also get a very intelligent and well-filtered series of history lessons and information sessions along the way.  It is very funny and very good.  Thank you Ann and Lloyd for the book, it actually helped to take some of the gravitas out of our thinking about the pilgrimage and reminded me that there is joy to be had along our travels.


D.  A Food Lover's Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.  This book by Dee Nolan is a coffee table triumph.  My lovely wife Monica gave it to me for Christmas and it is beautiful.  The thing I love about it is not just the information that it contains about the Camino, but how it introduces you to the sorts of food that you will come across as you travel.  Growing up and living in regional Australia for most of your life doesn't expose you to a wide variety of culinary experiences with an Iberian bent.  If knowledge is power, knowing what you're likely to be eating when you have just walked 30 kilometres and are famished may well assist in more satisfaction and less concern on foreign soil, particularly for our kids.  In short, get as much info as you can about what you are letting yourself in for, this book does it very well and will remain a family favourite of ours for many years to come.  Great recipes, fine publication.


I will stop there for today.  Its a funny thing you know.  Even though we are still well ensconced in our daily grind I am finding that we are already sort of on our way to Santiago.  Our pilgrimage has begun perhaps as we prepare ourselves physically, intellectually and spiritually for what is ahead.  I hope these resources prove helpful.  I have not chosen to list websites, there are many and any google search will dig them up for you.

Shane

1 comment:

  1. I like the bit at the end of the movie where they all decide to go on past Santiago de Compostela to Finisterra - what's another 29 after you've come 850!

    ReplyDelete