Friday 19 June 2015

Drawn Inexorably Back

In about one week from now I will be in the process of boarding a plane to head off to Spain.  As I sit and pen these words my mind is full of packing lists and passports, euros and sim cards.  I have the great pleasure of living in Hervey Bay Australia.  At my kitchen table right now I am looking north over the ocean on a crisp clear Queensland winter's day.  But there rises within me a sensation that I have not felt for a few years, that I have not felt since I walked the Camino de Santiago.

The view North from our kitchen.  Looking over gum trees to the ocean in the distance and Fraser Island's hills.  We are truly blessed but the road beckons.

Right now summer is approaching its zenith on the other side of the world in Spain, across the north of that beautiful country winds a thin rural path, across plains and up and down hills.  Sitting in sun bleached cafes all along that path rest weary pilgrims, foot-sore and content, living in the moment.  Walking like a multitude before them across a millennia towards the great granite Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

The Way of St James.

And it has drawn me back.

In just a few short days the road will be once again my friend, worries of passports and exchange rates will fade away as The Way embraces me once again, brings me deeply into its mystical space.  That humble path calls out across the years, across continents and invites me again to go deep into the now.

I am so excited.  My young son who walked with me a few years ago is now a young man.  I am so thankful to once again tread that path with him by my side.

This time though there are others, we will be part of a larger group of 22 kids and staff, families and friends from our school, St James Lutheran College Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia.

Join us again as we go.

Buen Camino




No comments:

Post a Comment