Saturday 27 July 2013

Our Camino, Santiago, July 26 2013.






It has been over 24 hours now since we walked into Santiago de Compostela.  I find it difficult to even cut and paste these few images onto this post without tears welling in my eyes, in fact I cannot.  There is such an overwhelming sense of joy and achievement and pride and peace and relief and, and, and...

I have lived a charmed life.  I was raised in a loving home where nothing particularly spectacular happened.  We had no great emotional highs or lows that I recall, we were just happy.  I went to good schools, always had good friendships throughout my life, always got good jobs and met and married a beautiful girl who I am still in love with over 20 years down the track.  I've got great kids, a top job, I've been inside the pyramids at Giza, dined at Parliament House in Canberra in a room full of politicians.  I've got a box full of letters from beautiful kids that I have taught over the years and I've even got a few letters after my name.

But let me tell you something extraordinary.  When my young son put his arm around me as we stood there together in front of that almighty granite cathedral on that hot July day, when he buried his head in my shoulder and we hugged each other and cried simple, honest tears.  That moment where we four embraced, where Monica and I looked at each other in wordless recognition of the significant achievement of our young children.  Right there is joy, right there is a glimpse into heaven, into that glorious reunion we will all share in the presence of Love.

The pictures tell the story of the walk, the weather was lovely, we saw the sights, we got here.  And what a place to get to, its magnificent and I don't use the word lightly.  The cathedral is huge, the buildings around it are huge and all gathered close together in places yet separated by expansive plazas in others.  It really feels like being in Ancient Rome, the scale is mammoth, huge sweeping stairs flow from one plaza to the next around this massive building, fountains play in the courtyards, the place is busy with people and market stalls and music and food and drink.  I could really live here, although it is summer, I understand winter is not so accommodating.

At noon today we attended the Pilgrim's Mass.  It was in Spanish, it was very catholic and fantastic, just what you want in a place like this.

And they lit the botafumeiro.  That massive incense burner that they swing on a huge rope from left to right in the cathedral.  It was glorious, joyous, a most beautiful thing.

As the disobedient masses, my family included, dragged out their ipads and iphones and filmed the whole show I found myself again in tears.

Such a beautiful thing, to be loved.  All these moments work together to remind me that I am a child of love, that I am known and loved by He who is love.

I found my way to the tomb of the apostle after the service, kneeled in that tiny, subterranean place and asked earnestly that this whole thing, this Camino de Santiago de Compostela would bring not only me, but the people I love closer to Jesus.

And as I type these final words of this blog that remains my prayer.

May Jesus go with you on your way, on your camino as these beautiful Spanish people say.

For we are pilgrims all until we reach our eternal home.

Buen Camino Pergrinos

1 comment:

  1. God speaks to me so much more clearly when I travel than when I'm at home. Correction: I suspect God speaks to me as much at home but I am more able to listen when I'm in places as you have described (especially cathedrals).

    Be still and know that He is God.
    Janet (fellow Australia Lutheran educator http://expateducator.com)

    ReplyDelete